Format: Book includes 168 pages of instructional text and musical examples, plus 2 CD download!
All great musicians have one thing in common - to a great extent, they know what the harmony is as the chords of songs go by. Do you? If not, here's a practical guide to get you up to speed!
For all musicians, regardless of instrument or experience, this is the most comprehensive book on hearing the changes ever published!
Using musical examples that reflect all contemporary genres (pop, rock, Latin, fusion, jazz), emphasis is placed on making ear training real, as Prof. Radley shows how to apply the harmonic ear training studies in the book to your own musical needs.
Covers both beginning and intermediate ear training exercises.
Trusting your ear can be challenging. However, doing so provides great personal satisfaction and self-confidence. So what steps does this book take toward trusting your ear?
Step by step, you will learn how to:
- hear the bass line (the harmony's foundation) in the major key
- gradually add major and minor diatonic triads
- investigate how the melody provides harmonic clues for determining the chord changes
- continue with seventh chord recognition
- explore minor key harmony
- and conclude with hearing some common non-diatonic chord patterns.
You will immediately begin recognizing popular chord patterns by:
- using practice routines based on hundreds of dictation and transcription exercises
- playing, singing, memorizing and transposing the chord progressions of songs
- composing and arranging your own music based on familiar chord patterns given in the book.
- additionally, more than 150 songs are referenced throughout the book for real practice!
You can work through this book on your own, with a friend, a teacher, band members, or classmates.
Music Teachers! You will find this book invaluable in teaching ear training to your students - as a stand-alone course, or in conjunction with your current ear training methods.
Book includes 168 pages of instructional text and musical examples, plus 2 CD download!
Roberta's book is a valuable tool for hearing changes - she is thorough and methodical, leading the student through the path of hearing harmony and chord progressions.”
— Luciana Souza
I highly recommend this book to all who are seriously interested in improving all aspects of ear training.”
— Walter Beasley
Roberta Radley is currently the Assistant Chair of the Ear Training department at Berklee College of Music. A Berklee graduate herself, she has been a member of the faculty since 1976. Her accomplishments as an educator earned her the “Outstanding Achievement in Music Education” award from the College. She has taught a wide range of ear training classes, using innovative methods to help students hear music more analytically, and to inspire students to develop their own unique musical voice.