“Possibly The Greatest Book On Mixing Ever Written…”
For 20 years, the Mixing Engineer’s Handbook has been the go-to resource to learn:
- The Evolution of Mixing (where all of these techniques and the lingo originated)
- Different Mixing styles to try.. so you can discover and develop your own!
- The 12 big differences in mixing live and in the studio
- Monitor selection and placement so you can hear your mix the right way.
- Setting up a listening space for a reflection-free zone, and overcoming acoustical issues you may run into.
- 3 steps to adding subwoofers
- How to mix on headphones (because sometimes you don’t have the luxury of monitors and a good listening space)
- Listening techniques so you know what you hear is what your mix sounds like.
That’s just scratching the surface of what this handbook has to offer.
Bobby Owsinski’s expertise touches on almost everything else mixing-related, with insightful quotes from legends in the industry sprinkled throughout.
The 5th Edition Mixing Engineer’s Handbook goes even further in-depth with topics like:
- Mix preparation so you can have a more comfortable mixing session with fewer mistakes and hassles.
- Session Prep Checklist
- Mixing Mechanics that are vital to finding the sound you are looking for.
- Level Metering – The types of metering and when and how to use them.
- Gain Staging
- The 6 components of a mix
- Mix Balance – How to build and arrange your mix, and tools for a good balance.
- Mixing in Stereo
- Mixing for Immersive Audio (Surround Sound, Dolby Atmos)
- Dynamic Elements – Compression, Limiting, Gating, De-essing, Transient Shapers, and Clippers
- An even deeper dive into compression
- Equalization – Types of EQ and EQ Methods
- 6 trouble frequencies to look out for so you can clean up your mix.
- Dimensional Elements – Delay, Reverb, Modulation, and Layering these effects.
- 6 Principles of adding effects.
- Advanced Techniques for the streaming age
- How to master your mix
- A huge mixing glossary
…and exclusive interviews from 31 legendary mixers representing all genres of music! ©2022, 398 pages
Order your copy today!