Expert Tips from Preproduction to Final Mix
In Producing Great Sound for Film and Video, Fourth Edition audio guru Jay Rose revises his popular text for a new generation of filmmakers. You’ll learn practical, time-saving ways to get better recordings, solve problems with existing audio, create compelling tracks, and boost your filmmaking to the next level!
Here you’ll find real-world advice and practical guidelines for every aspect of your soundtrack: planning and budgeting, field and studio recording, editing, sound effects and music, audio repair, processing, and mixing. Rose’s combination of solid technical information and a clear, step-by-step approach has made this the go-to book for producers and film students for over a decade.
New in this edition:
- Insights and from-the-trenches tips from top professionals
- Instructions for getting the best results from new DSLRs and digital recorders
- An all-new companion website www.GreatSound.info with downloadable diagnostics, examples, and exercises for you to try
- What you need to know about new regulations for wireless mics and broadcast loudness
- An expanded "How Do I Fix This?" section to help you solve problems quickly
Whether you’re an aspiring filmmaker who wants better tracks, or an experienced professional looking for a reference, Producing Great Sound for Film and Video, Fourth Edition has the information you need.
©2014, 570 pages
Chapter 1: Audio Basics
Chapter 2: How Digital Audio Works
Chapter 3: Audio on a Wire
Chapter 4: Planning and Pre-Pro
Chapter 5: Budgeting, Scheduling, and Pre-production
Chapter 6: Production Sound
Chapter 7: Production Mic Technique
Chapter 8: Production Recording
Chapter 9: Recording, Voice-overs, ADR, and Effects (available as an online supplement)
Chapter 10: Postproduction
Chapter 11: Postproduction Hardware
Chapter 12: Levels and Digitizing
Chapter 13: Editing Voices
Chapter 14: Working with Music
Chapter 15: Sound Effects
Chapter 16: Processing
Chapter 17: The Mix
Chapter 18: "Help! It Doesn’t Sound Right!"
Appendix A: Glossary
Appendix B: Resources