Minor Blues Harmonica
Format: Softcover & Online Audio
Minor Blues Harmonica includes introductory material for new players on holding the harmonica, achieving a single note, and common techniques that sound great on the instrument. Not-so-new players will enjoy learning new songs at their current skill levels. Intermediate players will benefit from learning to play in 3rd Position to broaden their options while performing. Players at a more advanced level will learn to play in minor keys–a challenge for harmonica players, but less difficult in 3rd Position.
In this book we’ll explore the killer sounds that 3rd Position has to offer, focusing on the following areas:
1) New players will learn to play single notes and moving around the harmonica with good tone.
2) Learning to improvise in 3rd Position in an intuitive way, even for beginners.
3) Learning “study” songs to play by yourself and at blues jams. These songs also provide valuable licks to help develop your own improvisational vocabulary.
4) An overview of music theory to help you understand what’s technically going on. (This is at the end of the book, so it’s not required in order to play the examples.)
5) A chapter for the more advanced players to learn how to play the lower octave of the harmonica in 3rd Position (requires good bending skills).
You’ll need a C Major Diatonic Harmonica for this book and recording. Recordings of all the examples are played by author David Barrett. Includes access to online audio. ©2019, 36 pages